For as long as I can remember, British TV has had a ten minute, once a week, institution. The BBC's Points Of View, was a chance for viewers to write in and have their grievances and opinions on the previous week's TV output, aired to the nation.
The letters ranged from witty to outraged. Watching it, you often wondered who these people were that felt so emotional about a TV show that they had to write to someone to tell them?
I love a bit of telly, but writing to the makers is something I would fall short of.
Is it that important that you need to chastise the BBC for showing a left breast before midnight? Or that Phil Mitchell's grunting aggression is not suitable for 7.30pm?
The fact is, in the UK, complaining is in the blood. It's in our DNA and we are very good at it. We can adapt a complaint to fit any situation, no matter how trivial.
Trawl through the letters page in any national newspaper in the UK and you will find many inches of moaning, whining and bitching on the most irrational and unimportant matters.
And I love it.
Earlier today, I was having a coffee and reading the (only decent) english language paper here in the UAE. Turning to the letters page is always an out-of-body experience for me here. Almost all the letters are positive. Glowing tributes to the government and leaders. Thank yous from grateful people who seem as though they are having the time of their life. People write to the paper merely to say they like something! No other reason. No sarcasm involved, just sickening niceness.
I suspect there is a lot of fear involved. But, this is hardly a hand-chopping country. In fact, in many ways we are more free here than most nations in the world. (I include Britain in that).
I can only suggest two possibilities: One, they somehow feel scared of criticising the government and leaders and are brown-nosing to hopefully get noticed. Two, they actually don't have anything to complain about.
Now, I ask you - what kind of human is always happy?
Monday, June 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment