A fuse blew in the flat yesterday. Not a little one in a plug, but a proper one. A housey-type one. As you can gather, I'm not Bob the Builder, but I dont mind DIY at all. I quite enjoy it and have discovered how to do many things over the years by trial and huge error.
However, this one stumped me. I knew I had to get the old fuse out and replace it, but when I removed the cover to the fuse box, all i could see was wires and stuff. It was enough to make me reconsider sticking my screwdriver in any further.
As half the flat was now out of action and we were expecting guests within the hour, I knew oustide assistance was required.
I walked up the street for about 2 minutes, to the nearest little electrical stuff-type shop. It's about the size of a toilet and smells simalar too. Inside I gestured and pointed to what I thought would help him understand my predicament. He did understand but I needed to give him more information before he could sell me a new fuse. After a couple of minutes he said, "I come?"
I thought for about two seconds and said, "Yes."
He followed me to our flat with a carrier bag of tools and fuses. He tested the fuse box, tried a fuse, tested all the sockets in one side of the flat, re-wired one, tried the fuse again, replaced the cover and got us up and running again. As he was saying goodbye, I gave him 100 Dirhams (about 12 pounds) and he beamed like a Cheshire Cat and slipped out, into the night. I think I overpaid him, considering what he would usually expect for simalar work.
Only afterwards did I realise that there wasn't any, "This is gonna cost," or "I can get to you a week on tuesday," or "You're gonna need a whole re-wire job here."
He came, he fixed it, he left. Isn't that kind of how it should be? He didn't try to get extra work out of it or try to fleece me for something else while he was here. He didn't wan't me to pre-book him, or sign up to a loyalty scheme or take out an insurance policy. I signed nothing and he didn't even insist on a cup of tea. He had no ego and didn't want to discuss his wife's failings.
And now, when the next electrical crisis occurs, I will be sprinting up the road for him.
He has the best loyalty scheme of them all.
Monday, June 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment