Monday, June 9, 2008

The Car's The Star

Cars, cars, cars.
They could be judged as the centre of the universe here. The cars are huge, blacked out, fast and in abundance.
When I first lived here, I went without a car for about 2 years. I never did anything or saw anything apart from the two major malls and the pubs. Now, with a car I can go and see both the country's' historic attractions when I want.
Driving here is an art form, despite what you may have heard. It doesn't have the chaos of India, nor the order of Germany. It doesn't have the desperation of Egypt or the cruising of America.
It has a life all of it's own. With so many nationalities on the same roads, there's bound to be problems. But, still nothing prepares you for the scourge of the tarmac - The White Land Cruiser.
There seem to be more of them than people in the country. Drive anywhere and there's always one lurking. Like some secret organisation that co-ordinate their distribution so one is always in vision. If only the UK police had a similar tactic, crime would be shrunk drastically.
But, coupled with their unmistakable image, is their familiar characteristic. That is to say that they are, by far and without any shadow of doubt, the worst drivers on Earth.
Irrational, selfish, misjudged, dangerous, unhelpful and rude.
When an accident is reported, the words "Land Cruiser" invariably follow.
Is it this particular make of car that transforms the driver into a twat? Is there some kind of device built into the drivers seat that changes the brain patterns and ability to judge a situation effectively?
Or is it the drivers themselves? There is a strong connection between the drivers. One which I will not fully identify, but one which I am sure you can fathom.
Their vehicular crimes are too many to try and list but they range from driving at full pelt in the hard shoulder to driving with almost 90 percent tint on their windows, at night. In sunglasses. On the phone.

I don't like these drivers very much.

No comments: