Saturday, October 18, 2008

Working Hard


Tropic Thunder. What a fantastic, hilarious and outrageous film. It was everything I enjoy in a good comedy. It had a great premise, constant laughs and, best of all, it offended lots of people. But more than this, I think my favourite aspect was the genius of Tom Cruise. Almost unrecognisable in a fat suit and make up, he stole every scene he was in. He showed a whole side to his acting talent that had rarely been seen before.
Now, I have a few friends who didn't go to see Tropic Thunder.
Why?
Becasue they think Tom Cruise has "weird religious ideas".
Ok, so maybe he has some funny ideas about life or whatever, but he is one of the worlds greatest actors and has been for about twenty years. Every film he makes is a sign of quality. Go on, pick a bad Tom Cruise film. I don't mean a Tom Cruise film that you didnt really enjoy, I mean a bad Tom Cruise film. You can't.
But, now people won't go to see him because of something in his private life.
I don't like Britney Spears music, but I really don't give a damn about her private life and I would hapilly listen to any of her music if I liked it. I don't care if England footballer Ashley Cole has fifteen affairs and sells his soul to the devil, aslong as he tackles well and feeds the ball up to Wayne Rooney. I don't care if Kiefer Sutherland parties everynight till dawn, aslong as Jack Bauer is clear headed enough to take down some terrorists tomorrow, dammit.

The problem seems to be that people are confusing private life with jobs. Is their private life squeaky clean and dull? Would the Starbucks manager sack them if they knew they had gained two stone in the last month? Would the accounting department stop their wages if they found out they were in love with their neighbour? Should we stop cab drivers from earning a wage because of their religion?
A job is a job. A private life is supposed to be just that. Magazines are full of photos of stars not doing their job. Unfortunately, alot of todays "stars" are famous for nothing at all. And people lap it up.
Im going to start a new magazine called "People Who Are Actually Good At Something Doing Their Job"
I think I might last one issue...

1 comment:

Norbert Panhandle said...

Surely if we don't like a film we can label it 'bad'? Therefore I'd like to nominate Collateral. The bad Tom Cruise film we'd all like to forget.